This Side of Paradise
1125 Grand Concourse, Bronx, New York 10452
On April 4, 2012, the gates of the Andrew Freedman Home opened to the public. The Home was once built to be a haven, a paradise, for the rich elderly who had lost their fortunes. Bequeathed by millionaire Andrew Freedman, the Home provided not only food and shelter but all the accoutrements of a rich and civilized life style – white glove dinner service, a grand ball room, a wood-paneled library, billiard room and a social committee who organized concerts, opera performances and the like.
Referencing this quixotic history, This Side of Paradise references the past and reconnect the vision of Andrew Freedman to today’s Bronx and its realities. The exhibition and its extensive public programming onsite and offsite draws together the economic and social history of the Home with the present day realities of the Bronx and its residents.
The selected artists' work in a site-specific manner and respond to such issues as memory, immigration, storytelling, aging and the creation of fantasy that the original concept of the Home “being poor in style” suggests. This Side of Paradise celebrates human ingenuity, the strength of the human spirit and the resilience needed to fashion beauty, hope and rejoicing.
Curatorial team is Manon Slome, Charlotte Caldwell, Keith Schweitzer and Lucy Lydon. A tremendous thank you to all our interns, volunteers and the crew at the Andrew Freedman Home. Thank you!
Exhibition Hours: Thursday to Sunday, 1pm to 7pm (extended hours when events are hosted).
Bronx Arts Alliance is a partner for This Side of Paradise either installations, events or general cross-promotion of Bronx Arts. Partnering organizations are: Bronx Documentary Center | Casita Maria | Hebrew Home at Riverdale | Lehman College Art Gallery | Longwood Art Gallery at Hostos College | The Bronx Children’s Museum | The Bronx Council of the Arts | The Bronx Museum of the Arts | The Bronx River Art Center | The POINT | Wave Hill
Collaborative Organizations are Wave Hill - Installation by Adam Parker Smith; The POINT - Designed by Carey Clark, Alejandra Delfin, Danny Peralta, Lady K Fever, Sharon de La Cruz, Tats Cru, David Yearwood among others; The Bronx Museum of the Arts - Works by artists in the AIM Program (Raúl Gómez Valverde, Alicia Grullon, Guillaume Légaré, Jay Paavonpera, Anne Percoco, Wade Schaming, David Schroeter, Marisa Tesauro and Seldon Yuan); Bronx Documentary Center -Film by Tim Hetherington; Lehman College Art Gallery - Works by Scherezade García, Shifting Communities Roundtable Series by The Bronx River Art Center (BRAC) and The Bronx Children´s Museum.
Video and Production Support: BronxNet
Media Partner: WNYC Radio
Specific Artist Support: The Puffin Foundation, The Bronx Council on the Arts, The Consulate General of Spain, Bronx Lebanon Hospital and individual donors.
This Side of Paradise is a collaboration with the Mid Bronx Senior Citizens Council, one of the largest nonprofits who has been providing community services in the South Bronx. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Related events and programs
- April 04, 2012 - Music: Speakeasy After-Party Fundraiser
- April 04, 2012 - Discussion: Shifting Communities Series by Bronx River Art Center
- April 07, 2012 - No Longer Bored: Easter Egg, Egg, Egg Hunt
- April 07, 2012 - No Longer Bored: Activities for Children
- April 21, 2012 - Performance "What's Cooking in the Bronx?" by artist Sofia Maldonado
- April 28, 2012 - Dance Here. Modern
- April 29, 2012 - Discussion "The Hub: Revisiting FASHION MODA"
- May 01, 2012 - Program: Boogie Down Rides - Bike the Bronx
- May 05, 2012 - No Longer Bored: Take The Stage! Family Weekend
- May 12, 2012 - Dance Here. Hip-Hop
- May 16, 2012 - Artist's Paradise: Consultations & Roundtable
- May 18, 2012 - Music: The Sound of Paradise Weekend
- May 21, 2012 - Y-Dot in the Bronx // Youth Docents Program
- May 25, 2012 - Artist Talk: Monumentalizing the Identity of a City
- June 02, 2012 - Discussion: Beyond Outreach: Museums, Audience, and Community
This Side of Paradise
April 04, 2012 - June 05, 2012
- John Ahearn
- John Ahearn
- Guido Albi-Marini
- Art Jones
- Alina and Jeff Bliumis
- Mario Chamorro and Daniel Paluska
- Mel Chin
- Melanie Crean
- Linda Cunningham
- Daze and Crash
- Nicky Enright
- Martine Fougeron
- How and Nosm
- Lisa Kahane
- Justen Ladda
- Abigail Lazkoz
- Sofía Maldonado
- Esperanza Mayobre
- Laura Napier and Carmen Julia Hernández
- Sylvia Plachy
- Cheryl Pope
- Alejandra Prieto
- Hatuey Ramos-Fermin and Elizabeth Hamby
- Bruce Richards
- Tim Rollins and KOS
- Gian Maria Tosatti
- Federico Uribe