No Longer Empty’s Young Exhibition Makers (Y.Ex) is a 16-week program that trains and pays local high school students (ages 14 to 18) in all elements of exhibition making, from curation and installation to docent tours and management.
Arts mentoring, youth leadership, and real life work experience are the pillars of this program; students learn creative writing, (public) art history, public speaking/oratory skills and media literacy through working closely with curators, artists, and community leaders.
- Soliciting, reviewing, and selecting youth artwork from partner organizations, schools, and community-based organizations
- Field trips to art exhibitions
- Taking on a central role in constructing a group vision of a creative space; Installing an art show.
- Leading tours for their peers and the general public
- Becoming community ambassadors as teens craft their own conversations and encourage dialogue around social issues through art.
Young Exhibition Makers is a hybridized model of No Longer Empty’s previous youth programs, Y.Dot and Y.Lab. Stipends are paid to all participants.